While I was fairly content with the work I had done on the previous Combat Thesaurus, something’s been nagging at me. Sure, it’s a finer thing to say that your character’s +1 flaming scimitar simultaneously chars and lacerates an enemy creature than merely hitting it, but what then? What happens to the creature’s body after the fact? And—equally importantly—what was your character doing moments before he or she landed the killing blow? To help answer these questions, we have the Combat Thesaurus, Volume II. Packed with more synonyms than a something else that would have many, but still fewer synonyms, Volume II is guaranteed* to enliven each and every encounter!
- Assault, beset, besiege, storm, swing, swipe
- Cast, fire, launch, project, throw, toss
- Battered, beaten, bloodied, hurt, pounded, struck, wounded
Dodging an Attack
- Avoid, duck, elude, evade, hedge, skirt, sidestep, swerve
Blocking an Attack
- Block, catch, deflect, dismiss, hinder, intercept
Resisting an Effect
- Bear, brook, defy, endure, outlast, persevere, resist, stand fast, withstand
Blood, Guts, et al.
- Bone, bowels, entrails, gore, innards, insides, intestines, ligaments, muscles, organs, sinew